Monday, March 09, 2015

The last day

Another semester ends. Another batch moves on.  Sigh!  But at the end of it all , I feel as if I could have done much better . But it was difficult for me to get myself motivated because my students were not so into the subject. Which is ok because not everyone gets moved by literature. But here are my observations(no judgement) of my experiences with the current student generation.

  • Students are  constantly distracted by their phones that they hardly listen to the class. Which reduces their productivity by half. Because of which their attention span is only half an hour.
  • Once the students get used to scoring low marks , they continue the trend with a resigned attitude. 
  • All the students just aim for pass marks and nothing higher than that! 
  • The only motivating factor for  the students to attend the classes is attendance percentage. 
  • Sometimes company of friends may distract you to no end. It is better to stay away from such company.
  • They  write assignments sorry copy assignments. Clearly assignments is futile concept . Why not adopt innovative teaching methods?
  • All the students lose continuity of the classes because they attend one class and dont come the next class.
  • Testing them only makes them run away more college . They DO NOT want to be tested.
  •  Even if they attend the test , they are totally OK with giving away blank sheets. How is this possible.
  • I tried open book test. Even that failed.
  • Even if they are interested in the class , it need not translate to marks.

What students really want.
  • I feel students want more chance of expressing themselves in the class.
  • If the class is one way they tend to lost interest.
  • They want more media .
  • They are interested in innovative methods of teaching.(at least it catches their attention)

All in all for me some students made all the difference. They came up with such lovely ideas and thoughts that I was bowled and believed that India is in safe hands. 

I wish them all the best! Our education system needs a re-visit. 

No comments: